The attentater of christchurch does not want to take the floor himself before the pronouncement of judgement. A compulsory lawyer will read out a short declaration instead, the court heard.
Wednesday’s announcement put to rest months of fears the 29-year-old defendant could use the courtroom for self-promotion and as a platform to spread his far-right views.
On 15. March 2019, the australian-born perpetrator had attacked two mosques and shot 51 people in the city on new zealand’s south island. 50 others were injured. He broadcast the massacre on the internet via helmet camera. The crime is considered the bloodiest in the pacific nation’s recent history.
Originally, the accused had indicated that he wanted to represent himself. After three days of hearings with survivors and relatives of the victims, he had been allowed to clean himself up on thursday. He now wants to renounce.
First the prosecution will read a statement, then the judge cameron mander will pronounce the sentence. This could happen on thursday, but mander can theoretically ask for time to think – because the extremist is the first defendant to be convicted under the 2002 terrorism suppression act. He faces a life sentence with no possibility of early release. This punishing mab has never been seen before in new zealand.
Brenton tarrant is accused of 51 murders, 40 attempted murders and terrorism. After initially pleading not guilty, he suddenly pleaded guilty to all charges in march, so there was no longer a main hearing.
As of monday, more than 80 survivors and survivors had the opportunity to make statements. Some had photos of their killed mother, father, son and daughter with them. With emotional and sometimes angry verbal messages, they often addressed the perpetrator directly. Several called him a "loser" and a "coward" who hid behind his guns. "You are weak. A sheep in wolf’s clothing," said ahad nabi, looking his father’s killer straight in the face. Many struggled with the tears again and again. The defendant showed no emotion most of the time, but observers said he laughed briefly at some of the spoken words.
In closing, hamimah tuyan addressed the perpetrators and the judges. Her husband was the last fatal victim of the attacks: zekeriya tuyan had been dead until 2. May fought for his life and succumbed to his injuries 48 days after the shooting. "Their heinous acts have brought thousands of new zealanders together in solidarity. Let this be a lesson to your sympathizers and supporters," she said. Tuyan urged the judge to impose the maximum sentence: "it would be a grave injustice if he were ever given the chance to be released into humanity again."